A slow internet connection drives me crazy, when my computer is dragging I do an internet speed test with speedtest.net. Check out this video of a Google employee running speedtest.net inside a Google campus.
If you are wondering how fast your connection is or if you are getting the speed you are playing for click over to speedtest.net and run a quick test. Here is a screen shot of my connection at our local mall, this is crazy slow.
If you are not getting the speed you are paying for here are some tips on how to ramp up your Internet connection without too much hassle.
- Call to your internet provider. They can diagnose your connection immediately.
- Find a better browser. I use Chrome, but sometimes the internet works better on Safari or Firefox…or even Internet Explorer.
- Reset your router. Hit the soft reset button or unplug it for 30 seconds.
- Reset your modem. Hit the soft reset button or unplug it for 30 seconds.
- Use a password on your router. You may have unwanted users slowing you down.
- Tweek your modem and/or router settings (check your manuals, call your provider, or Google it).
- Rest you computer. I turn mine off once a week, things can get weird if you are only letting your computer sleep.