Yesterday I had a conversation with a new youth worker who just got a lead youth ministry position. The conversation was on when should they change the name and thought I’d share a few of my thoughts. To be honest, I believe there is a strong case to have or not to have one, so I thought I write some pros and cons that I see to having one. So here it is:
- Gives identity to the youth group.
- Helps students promote the ministry.
- Helps drive the mission of the youth ministry.
- Help students gain ownership, when they have a say in naming the youth group.
- It could create a disconnect from the church as a whole.
- It could create a separate mission for the youth group.
- It could reinforces our ability to only care about the youth group.
- It could be confusing.
I think naming your youth group is a preference call with benefits and pitfalls. And so I, as a leader, need to be aware of the pitfalls and be intentional about enhancing the benefits.
Hope it helps,