Christmas has always been one of my favorite youth ministry seasons. There’s no end to the creative possibilities! If you’re searching for Christmas game and event ideas, here are some of my all-time favorites:
1. Reindeer Games—Set aside an entire night for Christmas game fun! Start with these sure-fire winners:
- Eggnog Chug (self-explanatory)
- Wrapping Paper Mummy (teams race to wrap an entire person)
- Human Christmas Tree (teams each decorate someone with ornaments)
- Christmas Mad Libs (create your own version using a portion of the Christmas story)
2. Christmas Caroling—This is a lost art that older people in your church still love. Form groups, give each group the addresses of several older people in your congregation, and send them to their homes to sing carols. If you notify the seniors ahead of time, they might have goodies ready to share. Caroling is a fun way to get generations interacting with one another.
3. Gift-Wrapping Fundraiser—Ask a local department store for permission to set up a gift-wrapping station. Either charge to wrap each present or wrap them for free and accept donations. Use the money to pay for camp or mission trips. Better yet, use it to provide Christmas gifts and dinner for a local family in need.
4. Christmas Series: A Scandalous Christmas—Add a twist to this month’s teaching series by focusing on scandalous aspects of the Christmas story:
- An unwed mother (the Virgin Mary)
- A strange sighting (angels appearing to the shepherds)
- A murder plot (King Herod and the wise men)
5. Progressive Christmas Party—Instead of holding your party in one spot, move it around! Travel to one house for games, another for appetizers, and yet another for dessert. Decorate the church van or vehicles, and provide Christmas trivia that passengers can fill out while traveling. At the final stop, share the answers and give the winners a silly Christmas prize.
My favorite part of Christmas, of course, is the incredible gift of Jesus. So while you’re having fun this season, remember why it exists in the first place!