Lessons, lessons, who needs youth ministry lessons?
In youth ministry you need lessons. Lessons for small groups and for when you are all together. Lessons in a series or on a particular topic. Did you know that on average youth workers spend almost a day preparing for their weekly lessons? We agree that lessons are important, but there are a few things that you might not take into consideration when developing a lesson.
Top 5 things to consider when developing lessons for youth groups:
- Be disciplined with your lesson prep time. Sometime we hear from youth workers telling us that they will spend “as long as it takes” to create their small or large group lessons. This might show a tremendous amount of dedication; it’s also not a great time management discipline. What about the time it takes to build personal relationships with your teenagers and parents? What about the church meetings? Don’t forget your amazing family back home waiting for you? Carve out what time you can spend and stick to it. The critical relationships in your life will “thank you.”
- Stick with Jesus. With the average teenager coming 1 or maybe 2 times a month to youth group, give them Jesus. Make your lessons around one-point learning. One really big and important point! Keep pointing them back to Jesus.
- Make your lessons sticky. Get your youth group to interact with each other. Research shows that “experiential learning” gets the point to stick up to 70% better than just hearing a message. And you know that teens are not wired to just sit. When we released REAL Learning, youth workers were amazed and how much teenagers applied and remembered the point of a lesson.
- Be you. We see youth workers trying to be someone else a lot. This is ironic in a way, because you spend your time trying to get people to see who they really are in Christ. Make a list of what makes you unique. Then create lessons that fit within the list. If you are funny be funny. If you are deep be deep. Show the teenagers that they can be themselves. Don’t copy someone else…you are the original artwork that Jesus created.
- You get what you pay for. If you are looking to purchase small group curriculum or large group teaching time lessons, free or cheap really means cheap. You will need to tweak or modify probably every lesson because of your teenagers and volunteers. But starting with a solid foundation is much better than starting with nothing. When it comes to helping your teenagers be Jesus-Centered, don’t take short-cuts.
Discover how Group Youth Ministry provides proven lessons for both your large group teaching time and your small group curriculum.
Discover why our lessons give you more impact…
LIVE Message Series is a flexible new teaching series that using an innovative and experiential strategy to teach for transformation. This relational message series is designed to get kids facing each other instead of facing forward, and creates environments where they’ll develop deeper relationships with Jesus and each other. Plus, it fits into any budget.
Each LIVE Message Series includes:
- Promotional Assets
- Teaching Assets
- Bonus sermon outlines and experiences
Try LIVE curriculum when looking for the best youth ministry lessons centered on Jesus. Our youth Bible study lessons are created to show students how Jesus changes everything from the inside out. LIVE youth ministry curriculum will help youth leaders make the maximum impact on your youth group. We offer small group curriculum for all stages of youth, including junior high, high school and college.