The past few summers, we’ve planned a gigantic paint slip-n-slide event. It is a huge hit that caps off our summer and leads us into the new school year.
We call our event “Tribal Wars”—each grade is their own tribe. To win, your tribe needs to score the most points. But honestly, no one’s trying to score points—we’re all simply trying to get as messy as possible. Here are the five elements that make this event so successful:
- Food—We barbecue hotdogs or buy pizza
- Octoball—If you don’t know what this is, check it out here. It’s dodgeball from the waist down, in a kind of pit.
- 9 Square in the Air—Like Foursquare, but in the air and with nine players at a time.
- Shaving Cream War—A 99¢ can of Barbasol is perfect, but the gel cans shoot farther (everyone brings their own can).
- DIY Paint Slip-n-Slide—See the details below.
To pull of the best paint slide experience, we use the following:
- Construction Grade Plastic. We get a 20’ X 100’ piece of heavy plastic., then cut it down to 50’ in length and save the other 50’ for next year. Then we fold it in half so we have one slide that is 10’ X 50.’ Folding it in half gives you a double layer of protection from rips. You can buy a roll for around $100 at most home improvement stores.
- Paint. We use three levels of paint: 1) I buy eight, one-gallon jugs so I know I have some on hand. (LINK) 2) We ask each person to bring one 16-ounce bottle of paint, any color. They can get this from WalMart for less than $2 (LINK) 3) We purchase powder paint to throw at everyone (LINK).
- Landscaping Anchors. These are a must! This is what holds the Plastic so it’s not sliding all around the yard.
- Dish Soap. We get the biggest bottles we can find at the dollar store.
- Hose, sprinkler, and water faucet.
- Camera. You want to get as many pictures as you can, because this is a great time!
Here’s the flyer we use—I don’t have permission to share the original Photoshop file, but you can purchase that here. Also, I can share a sort of “fill in the blanks” image so you can add your own details. Download that here.
We want to step up our game this year with Tribal Wars. I came across a YouTube video that might help us accomplish that. It adds one more layer to our slide…FOAM!!! This looks incredible! We have not decided if we are going to buy, borrow, or build a foam machine, but our people are working on it. Check out this video and let us know in the comments below if you have an event like this. What can you share with us that will make our event even better this year?