I’ve been waiting for this moment…in both fear and excitement. My 6th grade daughter has entered youth group – my youth group.
And I find myself with more questions than answers on how to maneuver this vehicle of being “Dad” and “Youth Pastor.”
So, here are my questions:
- When she’s at youth group events, do I treat her like my daughter or a student?
- How do I not show favoritism, when I know I’ll want to?
- How do I help her feel that she is a regular student and not just my daughter?
- Obviously my daughter is going to feel more comfortable talking to someone else about “life issues,” and I know it needs to be a trusted adult (other than her mom). So, how do I handle this? I know I need to give her room to develop trusting relationships with others, and I know, at times, she’s going to go to them and not me for help. But I also know I’m not going to handle things right, and I’m going to go into “over-protective-dad-mode,” when these times arise. So, how can I be proactive in handling these situations the right way? Are there boundaries to set? Is it wrong to seek out information shared between my daughter and another adult?
- If a boy dates my daughter, then breaks up with her, would excommunicating him from youth group forever be a sensible punishment? 🙂 (just kidding…but seriously, can I?)
I would love to hear your thoughts and answers to these questions. Or even share some of the questions you have.
With you and for you,