FOR YOUR AUGUST/SEPTEMBER FALL KICK-OFF (Believe me – you need to start planning now! This is a plan I created for a church I’m working with but I bet you can make the proper adjustments to fit your circumstances.)
- The youth of the XYZ Church were disconnected and unenthusiastic. This plan is a part of the total renovations happening in the youth ministry, giving them something to look forward to in growing relational bonds with peers, church members and God.
- This plan is also designed to involve youth adults/college age students as a tool to strengthening their relationship with the church.
What’s currently happening related to the game plan
- Two monthly “faith-based” events have been added to the calendar.
- Two “activity” events remain on the calendar.
- Youth group will meet every Sunday. In the event of a 5th Sunday in a month, youth group will take a break.
- Time of events has been changed from 5:30-7:00 to 4:30-6:00 so kids can go home and have dinner with their families.
- Recruitment of adult volunteers has started. One faith-based event has been added to the calendar.
- Plans for creating a senior high mentor program havebeen started.
- Youth room is being renovated.
Decisions to be made before moving forward with the game plan
- How to recruit and involve young adults with the youth for the purpose of facilitating relationships and mentoring.
- Setting up an intentional mentoring plan between with the high school youth and middle school youth.
- Renovating the Youth Room to create an inviting environment.
- Choosing a curriculum and teaching scope/sequence to be followed with the youth for the faith-based events.
Youth Staff Responsibilities
- Training the adult volunteers who will be working with the youth ministry.
- Setting up a mentoring training process between the HS and MS students.
- Developing a friendly and welcoming environment and intentional “first-timer” process.
- Head up the youth room renovations.
- Develop CE scope and sequence and then choose the appropriate curriculum.
- Recruit and resource volunteers.
- Develop a full communications plan that will contact and invite students to events using multiple mediums.
- Adult youth ministry volunteers/teachers
- Special Event Coordinators
- Youth Room Renovation Crew
- High School mentors
- Assessment Renovation Team
- Youth Group Volunteers: Facilitate relationships among the youth, making youth group exciting and fun.
- Renovation Crew: Recreate the youth space making sure that the space has a feeling of warmth and is inviting and friendly.
- Musicians: Lead worship for all faith-based events
- Speakers: To speak at faith-based events
Calendar Space Needed
Faith-based events that will happen 2 times a month need to be added to the calendar
- List of possible volunteers who would be suitable for the positions described.
- List of youth who have participated in church activities within the last 18 months.
- List of youth/children who participated in VBS.
- Youth Ministry Database
Expectations of others involved in the game plan
- Pastor – To mentor and oversee all youth ministry activities.
- Parents – To support the efforts of the youth ministry by providing resources and encouraging the youth to come.
- Look for an appropriate curriculum. Due at the end of August.
- Recruit speakers for faith nights. Due at the end of September.
- Recruit adult volunteers to be part of the youth staff. Due at the end of September.
- Create banner for kids to sign at every event that they are present. Whoever has more signatures will win something at the end of the semester. Banner will also represent the youth ministry mission statement. Banner will be available at the fall kick-off event.
- A calendar of events will be sent home as a magnet to be put on a fridge for everyday access. Calendar will be sent after the fall kick-off event.
- Renovate the Youth Room. Repaint some sections, create a stage and move all table games/ clothing racks out of the youth room. Purchase cool lighting, comfortable seating options, rugs, pillows and miscellaneous decorations. Youth room should be finished before the Fall Kick-off event.
- Create and implement the senior high mentor program. Due at the end of September.
Timeline for implementation of the game plan
- Due at the end of August – Choosing of curriculum, Youth Room Renovation and banner. This should all be ready for fall kick-off event
- Due at the end of September – Faith Night speakers and musicians, adult volunteers and senior high mentor program.
Next one? IDK – Check back in a few days.