If your aim is to get fired from your job at your church, do these five things:
1) Whine all the time: Complain about how you can’t get any help, the SP doesn’t understand your job, or how some families are out to get you. Please don’t develop a Phil 4:4 attitude.
2) Blame other people: Make it the students’ fault or lack of budget or missing volunteers for why you can’t pull off anything but lackluster programming. Never let the words, “I’m sorry that happened. I take the responsibility” ever flow past your lips.
3) Use “I’m disorganized” as your personality platform: Look how well this has worked for other youth leaders in the past. But you’ll have to stay away from EVERYTHING app-related since there are so many organizational tools out there for the unorganized person.
4) Get involved with Church Politics: This is especially productive for those situations where the 4-generation family in the church is involved. Over-sharing is recommend here.
5) Don’t communicate anything: Please avoid the church bulletin, newsletter and church web page. I mean, after all-your students aren’t reading that stuff, right?
Maybe I should add a 6th one on sarcasm. It’s REALLY helpful in small church youth ministry.