Scripture: Psalm 145:18
Clip Location: 13:20 through 13:57* (DVD Chapter: 4)
Synopsis: Ricky Bobby says grace before dinner, addressing his prayers to Baby Jesus. When his wife complains, he tells her when she prays she can pray to whichever Jesus she wants to, but he likes baby Jesus.
Gospel Filter: This funny scene gives us an important truth about prayer: The way we view God affects the way we pray. Ricky Bobby takes comfort in the idea of baby Jesus. If, as you pray, you picture God sitting on a throne, wearing large, white flowing robes without a smile, you’ll have very different prayers than someone like Ricky Bobby. Explore these mental pictures with your teenagers, focusing on God’s fatherly love for us.
- When you picture God, what does he look like?
- Do you think that mental image affects how you pray to him? Why or why not?
- Why do you think Ricky Bobby likes to pray to baby Jesus?
- Is there something wrong with praying to baby Jesus? Why or why not?
Read aloud Psalm 145:18.
- When you read this verse, does your image of God change?
- Why or why not? Do you really believe that "the Lord is near to all who call on him in truth"?
- If so, how do you know? Does that make it easier to call on him? Why or why not?