This four-part series will provide ideas to impact your summer planning and provide unforgettable events your teens will remember forever! These ideas are centered around summer special events and holidays.
Last in our series of sizzlin’ summer events . . . INDEPENDENCE DAY! Who doesn’t love a red, white and blue day? Here are just a few ideas for celebrating:
- PATRIOTIC POOL PARTY: Dye the water blue, float red pool noodles and use white beach or volleyballs.
- FREEDOM WATCH: Show the movie Independence Day—an oldie but a goodie!
- FIREWORKS FASHION SHOW: Have a contest and the sparkliest outfit wins!
- FLAG FANFARE: Decorate the lawns of your church’s military families with a flag and a thank you sign.
- PATRIOTIC PRAYER: Take your kids outside and pass out small flags on a stick. Spend time praying for our country and its leaders. Form the shape of a cross in the ground with the flags.
- TRUE FREEDOM: Partner with your church’s prison ministry to write letters to Christians behind bars. They crave letters of encouragement! Study John 8:36 in context of being in jail yet being free in Christ. Best scenario? Find a local police station that will let you conduct the study inside a jail cell.
- FLAG FOOD FEAST: This is a “no brainer”—but serve ONLY red, white and blue foods. Vanilla ice cream with red sprinkles and blueberries comes to mind, with candles that sparkle!
- PATRIOTIC PLAY DAY: Serve parents who work on July 4th by providing a themed play day for their kids. Many summer day care and camp programs close on the holiday. Charge per child. It’s a great fundraiser for your summer trips!
STEPHANIE CARO is a member of Group’s National Presenting Team and the team leader for their Youth Ministry REAL Ambassadors. She is a regular contributor to several youth and leadership ministry publications, including Group and Rev! magazines and has written/contributed to numerous ministry resources.