- This past week while at a retreat, I noticed our brand new intern laying in the lounge reading a book. From a distance I asked, “Whatcha reading?” To which she enthusiastically replied, “Some book called Jesus-Centered Youth Ministry. It’s AWESOME!” If you’ve not yet read it, you need to. Then, you need to register yourself and your volunteer team for this fall’s Simply One Day trainings where you can hear Rick Lawrence teach about Jesus-centered youth ministry in person!
- Took my wife on a date to see Inside Out the other night. While it’s a great movie for youth workers, it’s even better for first-time parents of adolescents. Do the parents in your ministry a favor and nudge them to see it for themselves. It’s a wonderful window into early adolescent development.
- While the internet and social media are blowing up over the recent Supreme Court decision regarding same-sex marriage, we’ve decided to wait a little while before addressing it with our students and parents. Sometimes when things are extra volatile, allowing for some “cooling down time” for everybody is wise. It isn’t always the best time to talk about current events when emotions are heated.
- Be on the lookout for a brand new LIVE Curriculum releasing sometime in early August. It’s a four-week series dedicated specifically to the topic of beginning a new school year. Really good stuff, I think.
- With NFL training camps fast approaching, I’ve heard virtually nothing from the Eagles regarding Tim Tebow and his prospects. This makes me nervous, especially knowing that this truly is his last realistic shot and making a roster.
- Anybody watching the quirky, creative new show, Wayward Pines? It’s only halfway through season one and it’s growing on me. My son suggested it, so I started watching it with him simply because he asked. Speaking of “simply because he asked”, I’d suggest that as a significant part of your parenting strategy. Say “yes” as often as you can to things “simply because he/she asked” to do them together. As our two children quickly enter the world of adulthood, I’m reminded at how quickly the time flies and any opportunity to spend time together…especially when it’s THEIR idea…is time well spent.
Have a great week!
KJ / @kurtjohnston