Two weeks ago I had a long day at work and didn’t get to the church for our Wednesday night youth meeting in time to setup a game I had planned for the night. When I got on stage to ask the students what they wanted to do open service, I noticed most of them on their phones playing “Flappy Bird.” (Light Bulb!). Immediately pulled out my iPhone and came up with this game…on the fly.
Flappy Bird Tap Off
1) Connect mobile device to tv / projector with appropriate equipment
2) Select a scorekeeper (provide pen/paper, etc for them to keep score)
3) Choose any number of contestants
1) Each contestant has three turns to score as many points as possible
2) At the end of the third turn, sum the score of all three turns for a total score
3) Top 2 Contestants Face Off in in a final three round match to determine the overall winner (Twist: instead of a 3-round score, make it a single turn sudden death match)
Alternate Gameplay – Tournament Style
1) Same setup, but each contestant got paired with another contestant
2) Each contestant got a single turn, highest score of a pair moved on to next round to face the winner of another pair
3) Play continues until a final pair remains; highest score of the final pair wins.
Super simple setup and premise and to the students loved it! FYI: my personal best is 44. 😉