Chris and Kerry Shook, pastors at Woodlands Church in Houston are challenging their congregation–and Christians everywhere–to fast from Facebook for one day, on Wednesday, August 25th. Here are the details.
WHAT IS THE NATIONAL FACEBOOK FAST?
Imagine one day if everyone would turn off their cell phones, iPads or laptops; refrain from texting, emailing, tweeting or even chatting on Facebook and intentionally get face-to-face in their relationships. That’s what thousands will be doing during the National Facebook Fast on Wednesday, August 25th. We’re not bashing technology; we’re just challenging you to take one day and set it aside a…nd to be intentional about the relationships in your life. For one day we’re getting back to the basics and we’re inviting you to do the same.
Here’s all you do. Instead of texting, tweeting, emailing or chatting on Facebook, try any of the following for your Facebook Fast and see what happens.
- Write a handwritten letter or card and mail it.
- Meet up with a friend for a face-to-face conversation over coffee.
- Make a visit to someone in the hospital.
- Try an act of kindness like visiting a neighbor you’ve never met to get acquainted, take a meal to a shut-in or take some homemade cookies to your local fire or police station. Be creative and have fun with it.
- Plan a family dinner night without the TV on and all other electronic communication devices off.