I wrote this job description this afternoon for my friend, Becca, the YP at FUMC here in my home town. Then, I thought, “I think I’ll share this!” Recruiting someone who keeps up with the youth room for themes and seasons is a great way to give a small church youth group and room a boost. It sends the message, “We care about you!” (The pictures attached are what two small churches did when I challenged them to spruce things up.)
Objective: This person is someone who loves to decorate for creating a mood and assists with keeping the youth areas/rooms freshly organized..
- Works alongside the Director (Dir.) to coordinate the themes.
- Ensures that the look of the youth rooms stays up-to-date, inviting, functional and clean!
- Prepares any needed budget for yearly design or discovers ways to have others support the design through gifts or donations. For example, a registry of needed items at Walmart or Target.
- Decorates the youth ministry space as desired for themes and holidays.
- Recommends and accomplishes any necessary room re-arrangements.
- Recommends and facilitates creative ways to highlight the youth ministry throughout the church building. Examples include bulletin board, announcement displays for an upcoming theme or event.
- Builds and coordinates a team of 2-3 other people (possibly youth) since multiple minds makes for creativity!
- Works alongside other volunteer coordinators as needed.
Possible Spiritual Gifts: Hospitality, Nurture, Administration, Vision, Leadership (Don’t worry; not all of these are needed!)
Time Commitment: Approximately 2-3 hours per month
Resources: The Director of Youth Ministry and the YM Leadership will support this person through needed communication, budget sources when available and many appreciative pats on the back!