Tasha and I are still recovering from another amazing year at SYMC. In between catching up with our kids and taking way-too-long naps, we wanted to share a few of our favorite SYMC moments:
- SYMC is so dedicated to meeting the needs of youth workers, they even provide mustache trims! The “eastern hemisphere” was our favorite look. And perhaps the most impressive part was the contestant didn’t “adjust” their looks all weekend!
- The International Justice Mission and a play-doh factory wrecked my heart for justice.
- Orange Tan Jake Rasmussen made the big stage in general session. It was an honor to be part of his “dream come true” moment. Tasha is eagerly awaiting the release of SYMC’s self-tanning line. Apparently, nuclear orange is in!
- Gungor and the Liturgists.
- Kurt Johnston and Katie Edwards were definitely in their element playing with us during pre-worship.
- Aaron and Amanda’s big proposal! She said, “Yes!” Even Tim had a tear in his eye. Sniff. Sniff.
- Eric Samuel Timm was inspiring . . . once I finally realized he wasn’t a “Jesus painter.” For a moment there I was thinking, “His Jesus looks like the Hulk.”
- Watching youth workers rush from general sessions to workshops and back to learn as much as they could about becoming effective youth workers. Especially the stampede to get upfront seats for general sessions.
- FREE swag! Between youth group and SYMC, we haven’t bought our own t-shirts since 2006.
- Did anyone ever rescue Jake Rutenbar from the elevator? If you have any information, the Columbus police are looking for him.
SYMC means a lot of things to us. It’s like an extended family reunion every year. Even if you don’t know anyone when you get to the conference, being around 2000 other “fools” for teenagers is both comforting and overwhelming. It’s inspiring to look around that room and think, “These are my people,” and know that we are not alone. Many thanks to Jason, Rick, and the rest of the SYMC team. We look forward to staying connected throughout the year and seeing what 2015 holds.
Thanks for loving students!
Tasha and Tim
PS – a special thanks to Reynoldsburg UMC for saving the day … you know what you did