Here are 6 things I believe a mentor does or should do:
- Gives timely advice. Their advice seeks to encourage and guides toward Christ-likeness in all facets of life.
- Risks own reputation. At times the mentor backs the mentee, putting his/her own reputation on the line.
- Bridges to resources. Whether the resource is a book or a contact or an opportunity for ministry, mentors resource mentee’s for their growth.
- Sets the example. In all facets of life mentors provide the model to follow – being honest about imperfections, of course.
- Shares ministry. By co-laboring in ministry a mentor intentionally increases the credibility of the mentee.
- Pushes up. Mentors seek to push mentee’s beyond their level of leadership and celebrates how that occurs.