Here are 6 things I believe a mentor does or should do:
- Gives timely advice. Their advice seeks to encourage and guides toward Christ-likeness in all facets of life.
- Risks own reputation. At times the mentor backs the mentee, putting his/her own reputation on the line.
- Bridges to resources. Whether the resource is a book or a contact or an opportunity for ministry, mentors resource mentee’s for their growth.
- Sets the example. In all facets of life mentors provide the model to follow – being honest about imperfections, of course.
- Shares ministry. By co-laboring in ministry a mentor intentionally increases the credibility of the mentee.
- Pushes up. Mentors seek to push mentee’s beyond their level of leadership and celebrates how that occurs.
Want to find out how you stack up against other youth workers? Take Group Magazine's fun, quick assessment HERE!.